Toxic Foods and Drinks for your Dog

list of toxic foods and drinks for your dog

Sharing your foods and drinks with your dog, it’s harmless in small quantities. But not all human everyday food and drink are safe for your furry friend. Here you will find a list of toxic foods and drinks for your dog.

This is not a complete list, if you are in doubt about whether certain foods are safe or not, please use caution and contact your veterinarian

list of toxic foods and drinks for your dog

List of Toxic Food and Drinks for your Dog 

ALCOHOL

 Alcohol can intoxicate your dog and can induce coma or death even in small doses. Your dog should never drink alcohol, this includes alcoholic beverages and food products with alcohol. 

If you suspect that your pet has ingested alcohol, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately.

Some symptoms of intoxication are:

  • Diarrhea
  • Depression
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Abnormal blood acidity 
  • Coma, and even death

CHOCOLATE

Chocolate, coffee or caffeine are toxic foods  for your dog.

Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine, which can cause kidney failure, seizures, and even death. 

Contact your veterinarian if your pooch has abnormal heart rhythm, excessive thirst, vomit, tremors or seizures.

AVOCADO

 Avocado consumed in large quantities can be toxic to most animals, including dogs. However, if your dog consumes small quantities shouldn’t cause any problem. 

Symptoms of intoxication are:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea 

COCONUT AND COCONUT OIL

Small amounts of coconut or coconut oil cannot cause serious harm. On the other hand, the flesh and milk of fresh coconut can cause stomach upset, loose stools or diarrhea. 

Dog prones to suffer pancreatitis should avoid coconut oil as it can be a risk to its health.

It is best to ask your veterinarian if coconut oil is safe.

 ONION, GARLIC, AND CHIVE

Whether raw dry or cooked these foods are toxic  for your dog.  Symptoms of intoxication are:

  • Gastrointestinal irritation
  • Red blood cell damage

Signs of illness are not always immediate and can occur up to a few days later. If you suspect your dog has consumed some of these vegetables call your veterinarian. 

GRAPES AND RAISINS

Even in small amounts, grapes or raisins can be fatally toxic to  your dog.

They may cause severe liver damage and kidney failure.

MILK AND DAIRY PRODUCTS

Pets do not possess significant amounts of lactose, the enzyme that breaks down lactose and milk. That’s why milk and other dairy products can cause diarrhea and digestive upset in dogs. 

XYLITOL

Xylitol is a sweetener in many products such as gum, candy, and toothpaste. It is FATALLY toxic to dogs. 

Xylitol can cause insulin release that can lead to liver failure. 

Symptoms of Intoxication are:

  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of coordination
  • Seizures

If you have gum in your purse, keep it out of reach of your dog.

YEAST DOUGH 

Yeast dough ingestion can be life-threatening for your dog as it can cause the stomach to bloat and twist.

SALT AND SALTY SNACK FOODS

 We encourage you to avoid feeding salt –heavy snacks, like potatoes chips, pretzel and salted popcorn to your pet.

A large amount of salt can cause excessive thirst and urination.

 “If you suspect your pet has eaten any of the following foods, please note the amount ingested and contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

You May Also Like…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Pooch'n Cat will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.