Safe Holiday Foods Dogs Can Eat

What safe holiday foods can dogs eat?
Keep reading and find the foods with safe ingredients you can share with your furry friend.
Some ingredients in your favorite Christmas foods are safe for dogs, but others can be poisonous.

This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read our disclosure HERE

SAFE HOLIDAY FOODS DOGS CAN EAT

Safe Holiday Foods Dogs Can Eat

What holiday foods are safe for dogs to eat? There are many holiday foods that your dog can eat.

50% Off

Here is a list of safe holiday human foods your dog can eat.

TURKEY

Yes, dogs can eat turkey. Give your dog white meat without salt or other seasonings.
Omit the turkey skin, stuffing, and other dishes you serve your guests.
These foods often have added spices, butter, and other ingredients that are too rich for dogs and can cause pancreatitis or other digestive ailments.

CARROTS

Although dogs can eat raw carrots, try to give him cooked carrots.

BLUEBERRIES

Blueberries are common in Holiday dishes, and are safe for dogs.
On the other hand, you should keep sugary blueberry sauces, condiments, and similar dishes out of reach.

POTATOES

Yes, dogs can eat mashed potatoes, but you cannot add salt, pepper, garlic, milk, or butter.
Peel the potato as the skin is not safe for dogs.

SWEET POTATOES

  • Sweet potatoes are another safe food for dogs.
  • Give your dog cooked and mashed sweet potatoes.

Pumpkin

Pumpkin is a tasty and healthy snack for dogs, and many love the taste of it.

If you are giving canned pumpkin, read the label carefully.
You should avoid giving a canned pumpkin pie mix, as it have sugar and spices that are harmful to dogs.

Although dogs can eat the human foods listed above, human food or regular dog treats should only represent 10 percent of their daily caloric intake. The other 90 percent should come from a portion of complete and balanced dog food.

Although dogs can eat the human foods listed above, these treats should only represent 10 percent of their daily caloric intake. The other 90 percent should come from a portion of complete and balanced dog food.

HOLIDAY FOODS TO AVOID

Do not feed:

  • Turkey skin
  • Turkey bones
  • Turkey stuffing
  • Turkey sauce
  • Candy and gum (may contain xylitol)
  • Pea cream
  • Sweet potato and yam with added ingredients
  • Pumpkin pie: may contain xylitol
  • Chocolate desserts
  • Alcoholic drinks
  • Salads with raisins or grapes
  • Onions
  • Chives

References:

Purina 
AKC 
Image credit: Pixabay. Unsplash Pexels

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *