How do you take care of your senior dog? Senior dogs have different care requirements than younger dogs. Getting older does not impede your furry friend to live a healthy and happy life. In this article, you can find out some senior dogs care tips.
Aging is a normal part of life, and as your dog ages, he becomes less mobile and more vulnerable to many diseases.
Diseases such as arthritis, dental problems, kidney and liver disease, and diabetes, are common in senior dogs.
Senior Dogs Care Tips
Here are some tips on how to take care of your senior dog to give him a healthy and happy life.
Feed your older dog with a unique Senior Dog’s Diet
Since older dogs are at higher risk of developing weight gain, you must feed your pooch with a unique food lower in fat and with low calories.
Tip: Read the dog food label and choose the one that fits with your dog’s age and lifestyle.
Take your senior dog to regular veterinary visits.
Senior dogs have unique caring needs to prevent health problems.
- He needs regular veterinary checkups at least once a year to prevent common diseases.
Exercise your older dog.
Regular exercises are important to maintain your dog’s weight.
Senior dogs have low energy levels, so be patient and start with quick walks around the block. Ask your vet for the recommended exercises.
Keep a Proper Dental Care
Brushing your dog’s teeth can help keep the dog’s mouth healthy.
If you can’t brush your dog’s teeth, consider giving him dental treats. Also, take your dog to the vet once a year to have their teeth professionally cleaned.
Provide your older dog with a special place
- Older dogs often have arthritis and might benefit from soft beds, towels, or blankets.
- Give him an accessible bed that won’t require jumping and climbing.
- Build a doggy ramp to make it easier to go up the stairs, or install a doggy gate that limits their access to the stair.
Take care of your dog’s grooming.
- Brush your dog regularly to avoid mats and tangles.
- Use a natural shampoo to avoid skin irritation.
You May Also Like
Let’s Keep in Touch
If you want to stay up to date on the latest articles you can join our free newsletter. It’s sent out once a month and we offer the latest updates, tips, and deals.
Subscribe to our mailing list