How do you take care of your senior dog? Senior dogs have different care requirements than younger dogs. Getting older does not impede your furry friend from living a healthy and happy life. In this article, you can find out some senior dog care tips.
TIPS TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR SENIOR DOG
Here are some tips on how to take care of your senior dog to give him a healthy and happy life.
Exercise your older dog.
Regular exercises are important to maintain your dog’s weight.
Senior dogs have low energy levels, so be patient and start with quick walks around the block. Ask your vet for the recommended exercises.
Keep a Proper Dental Care
Brushing your dog’s teeth can help keep the dog’s mouth healthy.
If you can’t brush your dog’s teeth, consider giving him dental treats. Also, take your dog to the vet once a year to have their teeth professionally cleaned.
Provide your older dog with a special place
- Older dogs often have arthritis and might benefit from soft beds, towels, or blankets.
- Give him an accessible bed that won’t require jumping and climbing.
- Build a doggy ramp to make it easier to go up the stairs, or install a doggy gate that limits their access to the stair.
Take care of your dog’s grooming
- Brush your dog regularly to avoid mats and tangles.
- Use a natural shampoo to avoid skin irritation.