Our furry feline friends are sometimes a mystery; however, here are some fun facts about cats and kittens we know about them.
This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Fun Facts about Cats and Kittens
MEOWS ARE A FORM OF COMMUNICATION
Meowing is a behavior that cats develop to communicate with humans, and they can have up to 100 different vocalizations.
CATS SPEND BETWEEN 30 TO 50 PERCENT OF THEIR DAY GROOMING THEMSELVES
Cats sleep between 12 and 16 hours a day and spend 1/3 of their waking hours grooming.
CATS MARK YOU AS THEIR TERRITORY
By rubbing their faces and bodies against you, cats mark you as their territory giving you their scent.
IF YOU LOVE CATS, YOU ARE AN AILUROPHILE
An ailurophile is a person who loves cats. The word ailuro is the ancient Greek word for cat.
CAT NOSE IS UNIQUE
Each cat’s nose is distinctive, just like human fingerprints.
Every cat’s nose has its pattern of bumps and ridges, and just like human fingerprints, no two cat nose prints are alike. (Morris Animal Inn).
THERE ARE MORE PET CATS IN THE U.S. THAN PET DOGS
There are about 88 million house cats in the United States, making them the most popular pet.
OTHER FUN FACTS ABOUT CATS AND KITTENS
- Adult cats have 30 teeth, while kittens have 26.
- If your cat approaches you with a straight, almost vibrating tail, it means that he is happy to see you.
- An adult cat’s brain is about 2 inches (5 cm) long and weighs 30 grams, and has almost twice as many neurons in its cerebral cortex as dogs.
- A cat’s tongue contains a series of rearward-facing hooks, the filiform papillae; these hook’s tongues can lick at bones to clean them of any chunks of meat.
- Neutered males live 62% longer than non-neutered cats, and spayed females live 39% longer than non-spayed females.
- Between 2002 and 2012, the average life expectancy of a cat increased by one year.
- Cats can jump five times their height.
- Self-care stimulates blood flow to the skin, regulates body temperature, and helps it relax.
- When your cat shows its belly, it is a sign of confidence and a relaxed cat; this is generally not an invitation to have her belly rubbed.
- A cat’s butt on your face is a gesture of friendship, while kneading means happiness. Placing its tail on another cat or dog also means friendliness.
- Cats can dream.
- Grimalkin is the name of a cat, especially an older one.