Insects are a great annoyance to humans. However, many people do not know that these bugs can also pose a health risk to our cats.
One of the things we adore most about our cats is their intrinsic curiosity.
However, occasionally, their meddling might get them into problems when they unintentionally come into contact with potentially dangerous materials or animals.
Here is a list of the common bugs for cats to avoid.
COMMON BUGS FOR CATS TO AVOID
Cats and dogs should avoid getting too close to caterpillars, even if they may seem cute and cuddly.
Many caterpillars have hairs on them that might be dangerous if handled or consumed.
Due to their fur coats, cats are unlikely to come into touch with skin. However, they could try to eat caterpillars.
To keep moths away from your pet and home, you can use powdered herbs and cedar wood.
2. BUMBLEBEES, HORNETS, AND WASPS
Bees, hornets, and wasps have a sharp stinger on their body capable of injecting venom into your cat.
It is easy for these insects to penetrate your cat’s epidermis while releasing venom.
Although the stings of these insects are not poisonous to cats, they can be extremely painful, and cats can easily have allergic reactions to such stings.
The cat tends to lick the injured area, leading to irritations and skin infections.
If the stinging insect is a bee, your veterinarian may prescribe an antihistamine such as
The most common antihistamine for cat allergies is diphenhydramine, but you should consult your veterinarian before applying it.
Cockroaches are toxic to cats as they carry harmful parasites and bacteria.
These insects can also cause serious health problems, such as diarrhea and vomiting when your cat consumes them.
Therefore, take the necessary precautions to eliminate these insects from your home, both for your cats and for your safety.
4. GRASSHOPPERS AND CRICKETS
Crickets are not toxic to cats, but consumption of this insect can cause intestinal obstruction since a cat’s stomach does not digest this insect.
Additionally, grasshoppers carry harmful parasites such as mane worms that are dangerous to cats.
But if your feline friend ingests one of these insects, they may have an upset stomach and mouth irritation.
Therefore, it is best to use cat-safe insect repellents whenever you spot one of these insects in your home.
Fleas are annoying for cats, and the main problem is their bite, which causes quite a bit of itching and irritation.
Some cats can even suffer from allergic dermatitis if allergic to fleas.
As a result, cats may begin to vigorously scratch the bitten area, leading to bruising, bleeding, and other infections.
Always be sure to check your cat for ticks, especially if he has been walking outdoors and in areas where there is wood.
If you notice any ticks on your pet’s body, remove them immediately with tweezers.
Ticks carry Lyme disease. Cats with Lyme disease may experience flu-like symptoms, such as fatigue, fever, headache, rash, allergies, and joint pain.
7. MOSQUITOES AND FLIES
Mosquitoes and flies carry bacteria and germs and can transmit numerous diseases to humans and cats.
Additionally, mosquitoes can carry heartworm or any other additional diseases.
To prevent this spread, use parasite control products and choose a pet-friendly item.
Fireflies contain luciferin, which is the compound that helps these insects glow.
If your cat accidentally ingests a firefly, it can cause serious health problems, such as an upset stomach.
Fortunately, cats do not hunt or feed on fireflies but prefer to swat them when they pass by.
9. BED BUGS
The same bed bugs that bite humans are also harmful to cats.
The best way to eliminate this pest is to contact a pest control service.
10. CARPENTERS AND FIRE ANTS
Ants, in general, are harmless to cats. However, the sting of a carpenter ant is strong enough to tear the skin and inoculate formic acid onto the punctured wound, increasing the pain.
However, fire ants can be extremely dangerous to your kitty.
Some symptoms of carpenter and fire ant bites include severe allergic reactions and anaphylaxis.
We recommend contacting your nearest pest control service to eliminate any unwanted pests.
If your four-legged friend ingests a harmful insect, and you notice symptoms such as difficulty breathing, cough, diarrhea, seizures, dilated pupils, tremors and chills, skin problems, vomiting, and weakness, visit a veterinarian immediately.