The Chihuahua breed is the smallest breed of dog. Chihuahua is a national symbol of Mexico, and his name comes from the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
Let’s take a look at some Chihuahua dogs breed information.
Chihuahua – Breed Information
- Group: Toy group
- Country of Origin: Mexico
- Weight: 6 pounds or less
- Height: 5- 8 inches
- Amount of shedding: Low
- Lifespan: 11-15 years
Charming and graceful, the Chihuahua has a big personality. Weighing no more than 6 pounds, this dog is the favorite purse dog of celebrities. Chihuahua is an excellent city pet, because he needs a little exercise, and loves spending time with their owners at home.
One of his features is his rounded apple head with erect ears and luminous eyes. His coat comes in many colors and patterns and can be long or short.
His loyal and charm behavior makes this dog an excellent family dog. However, without proper training, this charming pooch will rule your house as a little King.
- Chihuahuas need high-quality dog food; you can feed your dog with commercial food or homemade food. Always ask your veterinarian for advice.
- Some dogs tend to overweight, so be careful with calorie consumption.
- Treats are an important part of training purposes, but giving too much can cause obesity.
- Provide clean and freshwater.
Grooming and Care
The two coats varieties of Chihuahuas need different grooming care.
- The short coat will need occasional brushing and regular baths.
- The longhaired variety needs a brush at least once a week to avoid mats and tangles.
- Trim your dog’s nails regularly.
- Clean your Chihuahua’s ears regularly to remove wax and debris, and to avoid ear infections.
Generally, Chihuahuas are healthy dogs; however, they can suffer from heart issues, eye disease, and patellar luxation.
Short, slow walks will be enough to maintain your dog in good weight and condition. Chihuahuas love to run and play but don’t exhaust too much your dog, and if he is panting, pick him up and carry him home.
Curious Facts about the Chihuahua
- The Chihuahua is the smallest breed of dog, and his name came after the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
- The Chihuahua comes in two varieties: long and smooth coat.
- Chihuahuas or at least Chihuahuas-like ancestors appear in ancient Mexican paintings.
- The Toltecs, who lived in Mexico in the 9th century AD, owned a breed of dogs, the Techichi, this breed is the ancestor of Chihuahuas.
You May Also Like
Let’s Keep in Touch
If you want to stay up to date on the latest articles you can join our free newsletter. It’s sent out once a month and we offer the latest updates, tips, and deals.
Subscribe to our mailing list