Australian Terrier is an affectionate, brave, and vivacious dog bred in Australia to control pests population and guard livestock. This friendly pooch is an outstanding family dog that can live easily in the city, country, or suburbs.
Australian Terrier Breed Summary
Group: Terrier group
Country of Origin: Australia
Weight: 15-20 pounds
Height: 10-11 inches
Color: blue-and-tan or solid red or sandy
Amount of shedding: Low
Lifespan: 11-15 years
About Australian Terrier Breed
This dog breed was born in Tasmania from different European breeds such as Dandie Dinmont, Scotch terrier, Yorkshire terrier, and Manchester terriers.
Australian Terrier Temperament
Australian terrier is a fearless and fun-loving dog, devoted to his owners, and a great family companion. They get along moderately with other dogs and household pets but are reticent with strangers.
How to Take Care of your Australian Terrier
- Aussie needs high-quality dog food; you can feed your dog with commercial food or homemade food. Always ask your veterinarian for advice.
- Some dogs tend to overweight, so be careful with the calories.
- Treats are important for training purposes, but giving too much can cause obesity.
- Provide clean and fresh water.
- Brush him once a week and bathe him only when needed, too much bathing make Aussie’s skin dry and flaky.
- Check the ears once a week, and wipe them with a soft cotton ball dampened with a ph-balances ear cleaner.
This breed is generally a healthy dog, but it’s susceptible to certain conditions such as
- Patellar Luxation
- Thyroid problems
- Diabetes mellitus
This breed is very active and needs regular exercise. Daily exercises keep the dog happy and well adjusted.
Aussies have to be on a leash when walks or hikes, because they have a strong hunt instinct, and tend to run loose far away from home to chase cats or squirrels.
Curious Facts about the Australian Terrier
- The Australian terrier was the first breed recognized in dog shows in Australia.
- He has sympathy for kids, senior adults, and handicapped.
- The Aussie is adaptable to most climates.
- This pooch loves to bark, dig, and chase.
- Aussie is the national terrier of Australia.