The Abyssinian cat is a popular breed, highly intelligent, and curious. This medium-sized cat is attached to its people and likes to be with them all the time.
Find out more about the Abyssinian breed in this post.
Country of Origin: Abyssinia (now Ethiopia)
Weight: 6 to 10 pounds
Tendency to shed: Low
Grooming needs: Low
Color: Ruddy, brown, red, blue, and fawn
Lifespan: 9-15 years
Attention Needs: High
- Kid friendly
- Pet friendly
About Abyssinian cat breed
The Abyssinian or Aby is a medium-sized cat with a playful personality that likes to jump and play all day. You must provide a variety of toys to keep your cat distracted. The Abyssinian loves attention and gets along with other pets, cats, dogs, parrots, and ferrets.
Even though Abyssinian is an active cat, she is easy to have in your home. She will play with her toys for hours but also loves to spend quality time with her people.
- Weekly grooming is enough to maintain your Aby’s coat.
- Abyssinian needs daily dental hygiene to prevent periodontal disease.
- Trim the nails every couple of weeks.
- Clean the corner of the eyes with a damp cloth
- Clean the ears if they look dirty.
- Keep the litter box of your cat clean.
- Brush your Abyssinian with pet chamois .
Feed you Abyssinian with high-protein cat food.
Common Health problems
- Periodontal disease (gingivitis)
- Hyperesthesia syndrome
- Patellar luxation (kneecap luxation)
- Progressive retinal atrophy
- Renal amyloidosis (a kidney disorder)
Curious Facts about the Abyssinian Cat
- Some people call Aby Cats from the Blue Nile
- Others believe the breed is a crossing between silver and brown tabbies with ticked coats
- The Somali cat breed is a long-haired Abyssinian
Cat names for your Abyssinian
Find here some cute names for your new Abyssinian Kitty.
Ethiopian names for Girls
Amara, meaning immortal
Anika, it means sweetness of face
Eshe, The meaning of Eshe is life
Ife, the meaning of Ife is love
Jamaila, it means beautiful
Kia, the meaning of Kia is season’s beginning
Makda, meaning high tower
Marjani, the meaning of Marjani is coral
Mazaa, the meaning of Mazaa is aroma
Subira, means patience.
Ethiopian names for Boys
Amadi, the meaning of Amadi is tree man
Ebo, means my people
Genet, means Eden.
Gyasi, means wonderful baby
Hakim, the meaning of Akim is judicious.
Negasi, the meaning of Negasi is he will wear a crown
Salana, means sunshine
Salim, meaning peace
Taye, meaning he has seen
Abyssinian are social cats and like to have some company. You can have other pets or cats around when you are not at home for long periods. To protect your Aby from diseases spread by other cats or dogs attacks is better to keep her as an indoor cat.
You May Also Like