5 Holiday Safety Tips for Pets

holiday safety tips for pets

Keeping our pets safe during the holidays can be a difficult task. There are many potential dangers such as ornaments, tinsels, ribbons, plants, and of course, the Christmas tree. Check out these simple Holiday safety tips for pets to avoid a trip to the veterinary emergency room during the festivities.

holiday pet safety tips

Holiday Ornaments Safety Tips

Holiday decorations such as snow globes or bubble lights may contain poisonous chemicals. If your pet chews them, the liquid inside could be dangerous to their health. In addition, ornaments can cause suffocation and intestinal obstruction. Broken ornaments can hurt your pet’s paws or mouth. It is better to avoid this type of decoration if you have pets at home, or keep the ornaments out of  reach of your pets.

holiday pet safety tips

Tinsel

Tinsel, is very attractive to pets, particularly cats. Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching “toy” The shiny, dangling decoration reflects light and can move to appear to come alive to watchful animals. Cat can swallow the tinsel and this can cause serious injuries. Swallowing a tinsel can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It is better to brighten the branches with something other than tinsel.

holiday pet safety tips

Toxic Holiday Plants

Some plants we use to decorate during the holidays are toxic to dogs and cats. Few of these plants only cause mild indigestion; in others the toxicity can cause serious health problems, including death

You should avoid decorate your house with Poinsettia, Mistletoe Lilies, and Holly.

  • Poinsettia contrary to popular belief is not deadly, however it can cause mouth irritation.
  • When a pet ingests Holly can suffer nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
  • Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of Lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested.

Better be safe and opt for jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic or choose pet-safe flowers.

 

holiday pet safety tips

Holiday Foods Safety Tips

When we think about Holiday safety tips for our pets, food must be taken very seriously. During the holiday season we eat foods that can be dangerous for our pets. 

You should avoid giving your pet the following foods

  • Desserts such as fruitcake. 
  • Grapes, raisins, and currants 
  • Chocolate and cocoa. Ingestion in small amounts can cause vomiting and diarrhea but large amounts can cause seizures and heart arrhythmias.
  • Sugarless gum can contain xylitol which is very toxic to dogs.
  • Leftover, fatty meat can produce pancreatitis (sever pancreas inflammation)
  • Alcohol, if your pet drinks alcohol could become weak, ill and may even go into a coma.
holiday pet safety tips

Christmas tree Safety Tips

Secure your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. Don’t let your pet drink the tree water which contains fertilizers and can cause stomach upset.

This information is not meant to be a substitute for veterinary care. Always follow the instructions provided by your veterinarian.

You May Also Like…

Keep your Dog Warm in Winter: 5 Easy Ways
How Much Water Does a Cat Have to Drink?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Pooch'n Cat will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.